THE ROCK GYM

GETTING BACK IN SHAPE WITH HOD CARRIER AND STONE MASON EQUIPMENT
                             (STONE MOSTLY)

I've lost 15 pounds of muscle weight without my gym.  This is my fault.  Without the tech weight machines and free weights I began feeling sorry myself and for my friends.  A solution was easy for me.  This photo shows I have a history of 'working out' as a vocation.  



That's me at the cement mixer surrounded by rock that have to be moved up the ladders and metal scaffold sections.  I was about age 40 at the time.  The man on top of the scaffold and roof is my father  at about age 70.  That was one great way of life!  



I'm age 71 now, retired with an injured shoulder, and no longer have the physical presence of my father or the masonry equipment.  When I joined a gym with trainers and tech equipment I began getting buff again.  Shoulder surgery and a continuing impingement meant that I appreciated the occasional advice from a trainer on how to get strong and mobile without re-injuring myself.  In my rock gym I'm not recommending any lifting or exercises without advising you to consult a PT or expert.  I just know I'm stuck here and need to chronicle getting back in shape.  

Lifting more than one rock for placement on the scaffold mud plank requires a strong grip.  You are working your biceps and forearm grip without thinking about it.  You can't get tired, or bored or go home because this is your job and you have to stay.  There is more masonry mud to mix, dump, and wheel to the working area.  This requires you to move fast to keep the mud tempered to the right consistency.  If this isn't aerobic enough, you have to find time to install the next scaffold, raise the planks, and restock the stone or brick.  

If you are reaching the highest current level of the mud board plank, a pushing up beyond shoulder height is required.  Lift and push overhead.  The mason might be using the mud so fast that you need to shovel into the wheelbarrow and lift the shovel load to the mud board.  A quick twist of the handle at the last split-second will drop the well-tempered masonry onto the mud board.  Then you are probably running to get more of the size, shape, and color stone that the mason needs at that point on the wall.  

The idea here in my home gym experiment is that I have rock (can get more), a wheelbarrow, and dirt to move.  The motions will be in muscle memory, and I can keep in mind the cautions of a trainer's advice when I was in the gym.  

SOME METHODS AND PRECAUTIONS

I'm not recommending anyone use this kind of workout.  This is only to chronicle what I'm trying in these times when we need to be creative.  
A.
Use less weight than that which was on the machines and free weights.  Your grip will not be as secure as a rock is not ergonomically designed to be gripped and lifted.  
B.
Watch your feet!  There will be dropping of considerable force.  Heavy shoes. 
C.
When doing a lift that would place a bucket of mud or stone on a working plank set up, actually have a place to set the rock.  We were designed to get the monster weight up there but the resistance of letting it back down could pull something.  
 
As I improve this post I might be able to get illustrations and photos of how to work out in a 'rock gym.'  I want to describe this much for now and get to an important expert in the field of fitness and well-being who has more genuine guidance and expertise than I do.  This is A.J.A. Cortes and this is his Gumroad lists of books for innovative workouts.




https://gumroad.com/alexanderjacortes 

It would be best to get on his email newsletter for current updates and perspectives on a wide range of being a better man.  

I might as well include his website and how to get on his list while I'm at it.                   https://cortes.site/newsletter/

I do not imply in any way that AJAC would endorse what I'm attempting here. 

Although I'm age 71, I'm ultimately qualified to attempt this because I have about 65 years of experience.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE ANTI-BOLSHEVIK ACTION PACK

THE METAPHYSICS OF INTERDIMENSIONAL MOUNTAIN LAKES LIVING.

BE YOUR OWN HERO : A RANT